|Welcome to a brief highlight of some of the great things about the
60's - back when gas was 25 cents a gallon, hamburgers were 15 cents and
cruising was the thing to do on weekends. Following are just a few
events that reflect
our time as students at CHS. We hope you enjoy this walk down memory lane and that it will jog your
memories of more items that may be shared. Email
us with anything you feel we should consider adding!
The classes of the 60's
(just like all classes before and after) lived in a very exciting and changing
decade. We had a new "language" (for a fun list of words that became popular during the sixties and
were a headache to our parents, visit cougartown.com/slang.html), fashions (remember mini skirts and
Nehru jackets), music (the Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Rollling Stones, The Mamas and the
Papas, just to name a few), dances (the mashed potato, twist, watusi and the pony - oh my aching
back), and much much more. We will always be remembered as "Baby Boomers". That title is still changing our world today as we retire and start to enjoy our golden years.
Some of the things we've found so far...
- The Chillicothe Junior High school opens with the 1967 and 1966 classes as the first 7th and 8th grade classes.
- St. Joseph Academy closed
its doors in 1969
- Park Center Shopping Center opened in 1965
- CHS Boys Football
teams were Conference Champions in '64, '65, '68 and '69.
- CHS Boys Basketball
teams were Conference Champions in '60, '65, '67, and '69 and made it to the State Playoffs in '60 and '68.
- CHS Boys Golf
team were State Qualifiers in '63 and '68. Mike Turner '68 was a Conference Medalist.
- CHS Boys Track & Field were Conference Champions '60. Phil
Willard '69 was an Indoor State Qualifier in the Pole Vault.
- CHS Athlete to the Pro's: John ( Butch) Davis: All State Running Back '64 and '65, All American (Senior Year) '66. Chose MU, played 3 years.
His Senior year, he was elected to go to the College All-Star Senior Bowl. In 1970, Butch signed with the Chicago Bears and then moved on to get together with his former College Coach, Dan Divine at Green Bay. He retired early, due to injuries.
more information, visit www.chshornets.com.
- The Krazy Kats and Eric & the Norsemen were the bands to dance to at either the American Legion Hall, Airlane Ballroom or even the Rock Barn at Trenton, where there was never an altercation with the locals.
- The local movie "High School
Caesar" was filmed in and around Chillicothe, using local 60's talent Judy
(Vogelsang) Shaffer, Ken Vanlandingham, and many appearance parts of the classes of 1960, 61, 62 and
63. The movie may be seen currently on YouTube and is
60's Song (compiled by Jerry Englert, Class of '69) - Click
County History - 1960s through the 1980s -
Archives - http://chillicothe.newspaperarchive.com
of the 1960's... www.chshornets.com
- Click on "Records" to view the past records for any CHS
sport - Website designed and maintained by KCHI's own Sport's Director,
Litton - http://www.grandrivertech.org/Litton/lhistory.htm
CHS Demolition News...
C-T Photo/Laura Schuler